In 1697, Britain’s William III granted a charter for an Anglican church in New York. In return the crown would receive an annual rent of “one peppercorn”. Its Church of England status gave the institution a quasi-public character, and soon a modest rectangular structure with a gambrel roof and small porch was built at the head of Wall Street, on the west side of Broadway, with contributions from virtually every prominent citizen, including Catholics, Jews (who are listed on a separate page), and Captain William Kidd.
Kidd also lent his ship’s tackle and other marine equipment for hoisting the heavy stones into place. The city also gave the church permission to claim stranded whales for conversion into oils and whalebone.
On Sunday, March 13, 1698 the first religious services were held at what was now called Trinity Church.